Dating back to the 13th century, Leuchtenburg Castle commands a hill over the Saale River in Kahla, 15 km south of Jena. It houses a museum of Thuringian porcelain.
First mentioned in 1223 as the fief of the lords of Lobdeburg, the castle was acquired by the Counts of Schwarzburg (see Frankenhausen) in 1333, then sold to the Counts of Wettin in 1396.
In the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648), the castle was a frequently used as a refuge. The castle befell to the Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg in 1724, and was used as a prison.
In 1826, it changed hands again to the Duchy of Saxe-Altenburg, to which it remained until 1920. The prison was closed in 1871 following the German unification, and the castle was later used as a hotel (from 1873 to 1951), and to this day as a restaurant.
Opening Hours & Admission
The castle is open all year round, daily from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (to 5:00 pm from November to March). The last admission is 30 minutes before closing time.
Admission is 7 € for adults, 4.5 € for students, children above 6 years old, students, disabled and unemployed visitors, and free under 6 years old.
View Larger Map
Ask your travel questions on the Germany Travel Forum