Sully-sur-Loire is a 14th-century medieval castle converted into a residential château between 1602 and 1607 by Maximilien de Béthune (1559-1641), Duke of Sully, known as the Grand Sully.
The castle has a rich array of tapestries, old paintings, fine sculptures and historical furniture, dating mostly from the 17th century.
The origins of the castle go back to the early 12th century. In 1218, King Philip II Augustus erects a first tower. It was not until 1396 that the present castle took shape though, under the ownership of Guy de la Trémouille.
The medieval fortress controlled one of the few crossing points on the Loire River, linking the regions of Sologne and Berry.
Sully-sur-Loire was purchased in 1602 by the Duke of Sully, marshal of France, faithful minister and staunch supporter of Henry IV, the Protestant King of France and Navarre.
Cardinal Mazarin, Anne of Austria and the young Louis XIV sought refuge here in March 1652 during the Fronde, France's civil war.
Sully-sur-Loire remained in the possession of Sully's descendants for four centuries, until 1962 when the General council of the Loiret department acquired it.
Opening Hours & Admission
The castle is open daily from 5th July to 3rd September. Guided tours are held on Wednesday at 3:00 pm. The castle is also open in October everyday except on Mondays from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (lastry entry at 5:30 pm).
Admission is 6 € for adults, 3 € for children from 6 to 17 years old, and free under 6 years old.
View Larger Map
Ask your travel questions on the France Travel Forum