Eupedia
France
Eupedia France Guide


Eupedia Home > France Travel Guide > Champagne-Ardenne > Reims > Palais du TauEupedia Rating: outstanding

Palace of Tau

Palace of Tau, Reims (© Macapa - Fotolia.com)
Palace of Tau, Reims.

Description

Opposite the cathedral (southern side), the Palace of Tau (Palais du Tau in French) is the former palace of the Archbishops of Reims. Built between 1498 and 1509, it was partly reconstructed between 1675 and 1690 by Robert de Cotte and Jules Hardouin-Mansart (the great-nephew of the illustrious François Mansart).

The saloon (salle du Tau) was used for banquets following the coronation of the kings. It has an emormous 15th-century fireplace and is decorated with 17th-century Flemish tapestries.

The museum contains part of the cathedral's original statuary, such as the royal attire for the coronations of French kings. The cathedral's treasury has some remarkable exhibits, like a Charlemagne-era talisman, and a 12th-century chalice.

Opening Hours & Admission

The palace is open every day except Mondays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm (non-stop until 6:30 pm from 6 May to 8 September). Annual closing days are 1st January, 1st May, 1st and 11th November, and 25th December.

Admission is 7.5 € for adults and 4.5 € for concessions. Admission is free for children under 18 years old, for 18-25 year-old residents of an EEA country (EU + Norway and Iceland), as well as for disabled and unemployed visitors.

Access Map


View Larger Map

Travel Community

Ask your travel questions on the France Travel Forum





Copyright © 2004-2021 Eupedia.com All Rights Reserved.