Sitting on a rock at the confluence of the Molignée and Flavion rivers, the site of Montaigle (lit. "Mount Eagle") Castle was occupied by Roman garrisons since the 3rd century CE.
The medieval fortress was constructed in the early 14th century by the Dampierre family, who was then ruling over the County of Namur.
The castle fought during the landmark Battle of the Golden Spur (1302) where King Philip IV's French knights were defeated by Flemish rebels armed with pikes.
Opening Hours & Admission
The ruins are open on weekdays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Admission is 4 € for adults, 3 € for teenagers (13 to 18 years old) and 2.5 € for children (under 13). More information on the official website.
How to get there
Montaigle are located just a few kilometres from Dinant and Yvoir, near the village of Fallaen, and should be accessed by car.
Coming by car from Brussels or Namur, take the E411 and exit for Spontin (exit 19). Take the road to Yvoir (10km), cross the Meuse River and take the N971 in direction of Maredsous.
View Larger Map
Ask your travel questions on the Benelux Travel Forum