julia90

Passione Mediterranea
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Tuscan-Italian-(European)
mtDNA haplogroup
H5b
World's Friendliest Countries to Expatriate

The list is based on countries where is easiest to befriend locals, learn the local language, integrate into the community and fit into the new culture

this is all according to the results of HSBC’s Expat Explorer Survey
http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/

1 NEW ZEALAND
2 AUSTRALIA
3 SOUTH AFRICA
4 CANADA
5 UNITED STATES
6 TURKEY
UNITED KINGDOM
8 PHILIPPINE
SPAIN
10 MALAYSIA
11 BRAZIL
ITALY
13 MEXICO
14 SINGAPORE
FRANCE

Thanks Julia. That's really the kind of topic I like. I am not surprised that Japan is not in the top 15. Likewise I expected to find English speaking countries on top for openness and easiness to befriend locals or fit into the community (especially immigration countries, although the UK has practically become one too now).

I am a bit astonished to find France so high though. But perhaps they gave more weight to the south of France, where people are friendlier and more open to strangers.

I have fiddled a bit with the interactive Expat Explorer, but there are so many options (30 just in the Experience category) that it is easier to review a few of them one by one rather than try the thousands (actually millions) of possible combinations.

This kind of comparison is great fun for me who has lived in 8 of the 31 countries listed and travelled to most of them (except Gulf countries, Russia, SA, NZ, Brazil and Mexico).

If I select only learning the local language, English speaking countries are all on top, while Asian and Arabic countries (and Switzerland !) are at the bottom. This means that the survey is designed first and foremost for English speakers, or that people around the world do feel like English is easier to learn than other languages (perhaps because they are more exposed to it and learned it from an earlier age).

Fitting into the new culture gives a very different ranking, with Barhein, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong and New Zealand on top, and India, Egypt, Germany, Netherlands and China at the bottom.

It is easier to make local friends in Turkey, Russia, Spain, the Philippines and Malaysia, but hardest in the UAE, Netherlands, Qatar, Switzerland and Belgium. The ranking for integrating in the local community is not very different, with English speaking countries, Turkey, the Philippines and Spain on top, and Gulf countries, Switzerland and the Benelux at the bottom. The funny thing is that expats can make non-local friends (other expats, I assume) easily in Gulf countries, but it will remain very difficult in Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, as well as Germany, the UK and even in the USA. In other words, the Benelux and Switzerland are not good places to make friends. Merging both categories, Turkey, the Philippines, Russia, Spain and Malaysia are quite clearly the best places to make friends. Social life gets a similar ranking.

When it comes to getting used to the local food and enjoying the local food, Japan is obviously at the very top, as anybody who has been to Japan will understand. After that come Italy, Brazil (really ?), France, Spain and Vietnam. The worst countries for food are the Netherlands (too bland, I would say), Egypt (too greasy and repetitive), the UK, Russia and Qatar/UAE.

The best food cultures also tend to be the healthiest. Italy, France and Spain rank on top for healthy diet, while Japan comes 6th amidst other East Asian countries. Unhealthy diets are found in places like Russia (the only European country where life expectancy is decreasing), Egypt and Gulf countries (as I said too greasy and undiversified), the UK, USA, Mexico and India (same remark as Middle East).

Let's have a look at work now. The worst local work cultures in the survey were France, Italy, Japan and China. I think I understand why. The best were Australia, South Africa, HK, the Philippines and Canada. The work / life balance is equally good in South Africa, the Philippines and Canada, but also quite good in NZ, the Netherlands or Thailand. The big difference is Hong Kong, which had the 3rd best local work culture but the worst work / life balance of all countries.

Expats were happy with the quality of accommodation in developing countries such as Malaysia, and Thailand as well as in North America (including Mexico), but were dissatisfied with what they got in Western Europe, HK and Japan (surely because accommodation in more expensive in those countries) as well as Russia (communist era heritage).

The best places for healthcare access and quality are Germany, Belgium, France, Thailand and Malaysia. I can't understand how the UK ranks last when it is the only country that has a completely free healthcare system (maybe not for non-EU expats), although it is true that this has had for effect to reduce the quality. Otherwise you shouldn't expect too proficient healthcare in Egypt, Russia, China, Turkey or India.

Local transports were deemed the most satisfying in Singapore, HK, Switzerland and the Benelux. The worst were unsurprisingly in Russia, India, Saudi Arabia, China and Mexico. I was astounded to find that Japan score so badly for transportation (6th to last), which I feel is superior to Belgium and the Netherlands, and in the same category as HK and Singapore.

Regarding organisation, Italy upholds its reputation for confusion. Combing the options, organising healthcare, organising finances and setting up utilities, Italy ranks dead last, behind Brazil, India and Mexico ! Unexpectedly Germany doesn't do so well (6th to last). The great organisers are the Oceanians as well as HK, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Japan is only average, and China close to the bottom.

All factors included for Experience, the best countries to live in as an expat are Thailand, Canada, South Africa, the Philippines and Malaysia. The worst are India, Russia, the UK, China and Qatar. This is of course based on statistical scores. The personal connection with the local culture is a vital element too. I personally would hate it to live for more than a few months, and especially work, in a hot and humid country (Japanese summers were hell for me). Climate aside, Singapore is a great place to live and work, but the extremely harsh and puritanical laws are a good deterrent enough (yes, you can be fined 500$ for crossing the street outside a pedestrian crossing or singing in the street !). On the other hand, the country where I enjoyed the most living was Britain, because the mindset and culture fits pretty well with mine.

There are only 10 countries surveyed for raising children abroad. The UK got by far the worst overall score, which is in line with the UNICEF report of child well-being, which ranked the United Kingdom last among 21 developed countries. Then come the USA (2nd to last also in the UNICEF report) and Mexico. If you want to raise your kids abroad, try rather France, the Netherlands (top at UNICEF report) or Australia. Scandinavia and Switzerland are probably good choices too.

Last edited:
Interesting to point out is that Italy ranked first only on "Local Weather", "Local Culture", "Healthy Diet" and "Using the Local Language"

Thought maybe immigants are unaware of our public healthcare sistem, which is one in the best in the world (not for performance, which is ok and very good in the northern part but miserable in southern italy)
this is from wikipedia
Italy has had a public healthcare system since 1978.[163] Healthcare spending in Italy accounted for more than 9.0% of the national GDP in 2008, slightly above the OECD countries' average of 8.9%.[164] However, Italy ranks as having the world's 2nd best healthcare system,[163][165] and the world's 3rd best healthcare performance.[166]
Italy had the 12th highest worldwide life expectancy in 2010,[167] while, as in many others western countries, seeing an increase in the proportion of overweight and obese people, with 34.2% of Italians self reporting as overweight and 9.8% self reporting as obese.[168] The proportion of daily smokers was 22% in 2008.[169] Smoking in public places including bars, restaurants, night clubs and offices has been restricted to specially ventilated rooms since 2005.

About using the local langauages people are unaware of dialects still widely used in southern italy and in veneto also in local public istitutions (informally)

Here's Wikipedia definition for our weather, local culture and healthy diet, which ranked first in the survey

Climate
The climate of Italy is highly diverse and can be quite different from the stereotypical Mediterranean climate. Most of the inland northern regions of Italy, for example Piedmont, Lombardy and Emilia-Romagna, have a climate variously described as humid continental or temperate. Adriana Rigutti (in Meteorologia, Giunti 2005) states that the climate of the “Po valley region [is] continental ... with harsh winters and hot summers”.[62] The coastal areas of Liguria and most of the peninsula south of Florence generally fit the Mediterranean stereotype (Köppen climate classification Csa). Conditions on peninsular coastal areas can be very different from the interior's higher ground and valleys, particularly during the winter months when the higher altitudes tend to be cold, wet, and often snowy. The coastal regions have mild winters and warm and generally dry summers, although lowland valleys can be quite hot in summer.

Culture
Italy did not exist as a state until the country's unification in 1861. Due to this comparatively late unification, and the historical autonomy of the regions that comprise the Italian Peninsula, many traditions and customs that are now recognized as distinctly Italian can be identified by their regions of origin. Despite the political and social distinction of these regions, Italy's contributions to the cultural and historical heritage of Europe and the world remain immense. Italy is home to the greatest number of UNESCOWorld Heritage Sites (47) to date, and has rich collections of world art, culture and literature from many different periods. Italy has had a broad cultural influence worldwide, also because numerous Italians emigrated to other countries during the Italian diaspora. Italy has, overall, an estimated 100,000 monuments of any sort (museums, palaces, buildings, statues, churches, art galleries, villas, fountains, historic houses and archaeological remains).

Diet
Modern Italian cuisine has evolved through centuries of social and political changes, with its roots reaching back to the 4th century BC. Significant change occurred with the discovery of the New World, when vegetables such as potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, and maize became available. However, these central ingredients of modern Italian cuisine were not introduced in scale before the 18th century.[195]
Ingredients and dishes vary by region. However, many dishes that were once regional have proliferated in different variations across the country. Cheese and wine are major parts of the cuisine, playing different roles both regionally and nationally with their many variations and Denominazione di origine controllata(regulated appellation) laws. Coffee, and more specifically espresso, has become highly important to the cultural cuisine of Italy. Some famous dishes and items include pasta, pizza, lasagna, focaccia, and gelato.

It is very funny to see that when it comes to integrating into the local culture and making friends with locals, strong Muslim countries always score lowest -alongside with Netherlands... I wonder why? :unsure:

On second glance, it seems that Islamic countries, North-East Asia (e.g. China, Japan), but also Germanic Central Europe are culturally tough for expats. Austria isn't mentioned, but I know from some expats that they had a hard time being accepted and respected by the locals. So all Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria are not very easy for immigrants.

It is very funny to see that when it comes to integrating into the local culture and making friends with locals, strong Muslim countries always score lowest -alongside with Netherlands... I wonder why? :unsure:

On second glance, it seems that Islamic countries, North-East Asia (e.g. China, Japan), but also Germanic Central Europe are culturally tough for expats. Austria isn't mentioned, but I know from some expats that they had a hard time being accepted and respected by the locals. So all Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria are not very easy for immigrants.

There are no Scandinavian country in the survey either. I wonder if they are similar to the Netherlands (they usually are in most respects).

My feeling tells me that Scandinavia would be similiar to the Netherlands. Generally speaking for all Germanic countries (except Anglican), the locals are not known for being very open, and their culture for not very charming, same as for food and climate.
Yet, the locals are relatively tolerant, social system and infrastructure work well, and you can easily make friends with other expats. So the flow of immigrants continues.

From the listed countries above I have been to Italy and Turkey. The people there are hospitable and ready to help you.

This thread has been viewed 159 times.

Back