Politics Vote for a president of USA. 2024 election.

Pick a President

• Joe Biden (Incumbent) - Democrat

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Robert F. Kennedy Jr. - Democrat

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Marianne Williamson - Democrat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump (Front-Runner) - Republican

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Larry Elder - Republican

• Nikki Haley - Republican

• Asa Hutchinson - Republican

• Vivek Ramaswamy - Republican

• Corey Stapleton - Republican

• Ron Desantis - Republican

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other - Explain

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Frankly, I'm ambivalent to debates on climate, abortion, guns. What I care about most is law and order being upheld. The democrats in my opinion get a big fat F in that category. I could point to skyrocketing crime due to restorative justice DAs and judges. Law and order are the backbone of civilization. Without that, we are at the mercy of animalistic savages.

At a certain point, you just can’t change the spots on a dog. All you can do is to work with the sane people in the other/same political party.
The folks whom don’t use common sense while protesting are beyond compromising with and sometimes in those situations you need to strategically retreat; unless if you are an Officer of course. :)
It’s a shame that ACAB movement is happening though, the police have been rather spineless as of lately I’ll give you that.

Frankly, I'm ambivalent to debates on climate, abortion, guns. What I care about most is law and order being upheld. The democrats in my opinion get a big fat F in that category. I could point to skyrocketing crime due to restorative justice DAs and judges. Law and order are the backbone of civilization. Without that, we are at the mercy of animalistic savages.

So you are saying that safety is the biggest issue in American society today?

Yet New York is much, much safer now than it was from the 1960s to the 1990s. It is even ranked as the 5th safest city in the U.S. and as the safest city with a population over 1 million.

I also don't understand how you can be ambivalent about guns if your main concern is violent crime. The two aren't totally unrelated.

As for abortion, it has been demonstrated that unwanted pregnancies are one of the leading causes of crime in the long term. There has been a significant nationwide drop in crime about 20 years after abortion was legalised throughout the US in 1973. The same phenomenon has been observed in other countries too (e.g. Sweden).

Law and order are the backbone of civilization.

Generally I'd agree, but it always depends on the character and purpose of laws. Bad laws are the pitfall of civilisation. Abused and manipulated laws and legal framework undermine society. Americans use more drugs than most others, and they have more lawyers and lawsuits than most other countries around the world. I don't see both doing more good than harm, even if some lawsuits did improve things here and there. But rarely in the private and interpersonal sector.

So you are saying that safety is the biggest issue in American society today?

Yet New York is much, much safer now than it was from the 1960s to the 1990s. It is even ranked as the 5th safest city in the U.S. and as the safest city with a population over 1 million.

I also don't understand how you can be ambivalent about guns if your main concern is violent crime. The two aren't totally unrelated.

As for abortion, it has been demonstrated that unwanted pregnancies are one of the leading causes of crime in the long term. There has been a significant nationwide drop in crime about 20 years after abortion was legalised throughout the US in 1973. The same phenomenon has been observed in other countries too (e.g. Sweden).

They're massaging the data, because they reduced felonies to misdemeanors. That is part of the restorative justice initiative. There's tons of incidents where violent offenders are released back into the public, only to commit more crimes.

NYC already has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country. Nevertheless, gangs, and criminals are still able to obtain them. I think in a high trust society, gun violence would not be an issue. So I don't think it is guns that are necessarily the issue, but rather the bad actors who use them. I say this as someone who doesn't even own a gun, nor plans to buy one.

They're massaging the data, because they reduced felonies to misdemeanors. That is part of the restorative justice initiative. There's tons of incidents where violent offenders are released back into the public, only to commit more crimes.

NYC already has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country. Nevertheless, gangs, and criminals are still able to obtain them. I think in a high trust society, gun violence would not be an issue. So I don't think it is guns that are necessarily the issue, but rather the bad actors who use them. I say this as someone who doesn't even own a gun, nor plans to buy one.

NYC convictions plummet, downgraded charges surge under Manhattan DA Bragg

https://nypost.com/2022/11/26/convictions-plummet-downgraded-charges-surge-under-manhattan-da-bragg/

Crime goes down, when it is no longer a crime.

There's also the fact that many NYPD don't even bother to do their jobs. Either because some of them are lazy, or they just don't want to be at the center of the next controversy. I constantly see police stand idly by as drug addict homeless people shoot heroin in the streets at port authority. They come up to people and act aggressively and harass them. That's just one aspect.

excerpt from the article:
“The people in charge right now want to talk about gun violence and getting these shootings down,” said Jennifer Harrison, the founder of Victims Rights NY. “But I wonder how many of the incidents [where] the charges were downgraded or dismissed or dropped involved guns or weapons, and how are we going to eradicate this kind of violence when people like Alvin Bragg are in charge?”

That's a good question, considering the fact that people can threaten the public with knives, and axes, and be out the next day with no bail in NYC.

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/...again-michael-palacios-bail-nyc-new-york-city
https://nypost.com/2023/07/13/knife-wielding-times-square-maniac-granted-supervised-released/

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I don't think it is a race matter at the core of it.

For example Atlanta is a city that has a population of Black or African American: 48.19% White: 41.03% Asian: 5.01%

Yet about 1000 people in a city of 499,586 are responsible for 40% of crime.

https://www.11alive.com/article/new...-unit/85-be4aa29d-55bb-4fe1-ba17-c7907a092c7f
https://www.policemag.com/special-u...onsible-for-40-of-crime-in-atlanta-police-say

Here's the thing, if it so happens that 90% of that 1000 are black, than the progressives are going to start crying racism. But this is very short sighted, because the vast majority of Blacks are not criminals.

These 1000 are repeat offenders.

This would be like me getting upset if 1000 mafiosi arrested are 100% Italians.

Letting repeat offenders out easily is an issue created by restorative justice, because it was perceived that the system was racist. I don't discount the incidents of legitimate racism, humans can be unfair to one another, especially for physical differences.

Nevertheless, even if most of the prisoners are of a particular race, it is shown in the data that they account for a small portion of that race. Progressives do no favors to minorities by holding up these criminals as poor disaffected victims. Maybe a small portion are, but they made their choice. Because of "restorative justice" it is perceived wrongly by many that the system is white supremacist racist, or that most blacks are dangerous; depending on if you are strongly for or against the policy. This is one of the core issue as to why there's so much negativity based on racial relations in the US.

Thanks for the info guys, getting out my popcorn.
There are many Palm oil free products that you can buy in the store.
I don’t want to advertise products in the thread but you can look them up. :)

In order to get palm oil off the store shelves, we need to vote with our debit card, not our president. ^_^

That's a common problem everywhere. Some people are just beyond redemption, but other could potentially be rehabilitated and re-inserted into society. But that requires staff with proper rehabilitation training and also offenders who are not hardened enough and can be changed. The system has worked well in countries like Norway and Switzerland, but these societies are much more peaceful than the US, so it's not because it works in one country that it will also work in another very different one.

Regarding gun control, I think it is completely useless to have different legislations in each state. If one state has restrictive gun laws, criminals can just do their shopping in the next state, or if not, a bit further afield. There are 12 states within a 5-hour drive from NYC (the six states from New England, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia). For example, New York state requires a state permit and an owner's licence to purchase a handgun, and the weapon needs to be registered (source). But that's not the case in Pennsylvania (no permit, no licence, no registration). Pennsylvania also has no restriction on assault weapons. The same is true for Rhode Island. So it's pretty easy for a New York criminal to obtain a handgun or assault weapon in these states, just a short car ride away. Gun violence isn't going to change in the US unless there are nationwide laws to restrictive the purchase and use of guns. That's so blindingly obvious that I wonder how it can even be a matter for debate in U.S. politics.

That's a common problem everywhere. Some people are just beyond redemption, but other could potentially be rehabilitated and re-inserted into society. But that requires staff with proper rehabilitation training and also offenders who are not hardened enough and can be changed. The system has worked well in countries like Norway and Switzerland, but these societies are much more peaceful than the US, so it's not because it works in one country that it will also work in another very different one.

Regarding gun control, I think it is completely useless to have different legislations in each state. If one state has restrictive gun laws, criminals can just do their shopping in the next state, or if not, a bit further afield. There are 12 states within a 5-hour drive from NYC (the six states from New England, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia). For example, New York state requires a state permit and an owner's licence to purchase a handgun, and the weapon needs to be registered (source). But that's not the case in Pennsylvania (no permit, no licence, no registration). Pennsylvania also has no restriction on assault weapons. The same is true for Rhode Island. So it's pretty easy for a New York criminal to obtain a handgun or assault weapon in these states, just a short car ride away. Gun violence isn't going to change in the US unless there are nationwide laws to restrictive the purchase and use of guns. That's so blindingly obvious that I wonder how it can even be a matter for debate in U.S. politics.

It is up for Congress to decide what Federal Laws are being passed.
Unfortunately, the Democrat and Republican Party in Congress are just too far clashed with each other that a nationwide agreement on gun laws is unrealistic.
https://www.usa.gov/how-laws-are-made#:~:text=A bill to create a,chamber to be voted on.

You're never going to convince people who don't understand America, don't understand the system, and don't apply critical thinking to statistics and just accept whatever is fed to them, or whatever supports their own biases.

I've seen it over and over again on this site. I don't have this kind of time to waste anymore.

You're never going to convince people who don't understand America, don't understand the system, and don't apply critical thinking to statistics and just accept whatever is fed to them, or whatever supports their own biases.

I've seen it over and over again on this site. I don't have this kind of time to waste anymore.

If I don't understand America or not...I keep on wondering.

Especially this mugshot inmate No. P01135809 aka the forty-fifth president of the US Donald J Trump what does one that understand America thinks about that? In the past you frequent used phrases like" What a disgrace!". That's what came to my mind...

The major concern I have- it's at least EUpedia forum- is that in the Rep debate only Nikki Haley the Ukraine is not in danger of wasting it to Russia. But I don't think she stands a chance....

Biden, Trump virtually tied in hypothetical match-up: poll

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-virtually-tied-in-hypothetical-matchup-poll/

Most Republicans think of what is happening as a disgrace, because they perceive the cases against him as politically motivated. Even the Republicans that do not support Trump.

Did he do something wrong, probably. But that doesn't mean there isn't a double-standard, because Biden and his corrupt family are certainly criminals as well.

Most Republicans think of what is happening as a disgrace, because they perceive the cases against him as politically motivated. Even the Republicans that do not support Trump.

Did he do something wrong, probably. But that doesn't mean there isn't a double-standard, because Biden and his corrupt family are certainly criminals as well.

Yes I must say Trump has done a great job to convince about the Republicans- that he is totally innocence and that he is a victim or a martyr rather than a perpetrator. Yeah right!

Wasn't Trump's credo if you repeat a lay long enough the people are going to believe in it.....?

The other Republican candidates know very well what happened. But I think for purely opportunistic reasons they keep quiet so as not to lose the Republican base who apparently believe Trump's words as God's word in an elder. If they hadn't sheepishly raised their hands (De Santis) or even defended Trump outright during the debate - but essentially that had to debunk it before that, of course - but pointed out that Trump's frames about the stolen elections are idiotic, then they had a chance.

Now they have been taken political hostage by Trump. And they have De Santis in the lead. Sad actually. I think there is a good chance - a lot of research has shown that - that Trump simply acted reprehensible. Will justice prevail or will the Republicans turn him into a martyr? What a mess.

Frankly, I think Trump lost the election due to demographic changes, and failure to galvanize the White American vote. Many of his supporters that were energized in 2016 didn't come out in 2020. They didn't see the change they wanted.

Frankly, I think Trump lost the election due to demographic changes, and failure to galvanize the White American vote. Many of his supporters that were energized in 2016 didn't come out in 2020. They didn't see the change they wanted.

Was there some instances of voter fraud? Who knows, I'm sure it happens to some degree in every election from both sides. Nevertheless, I don't think it would have been enough to tip the balance. As I said above, I think it is demographic change, and unenthusiastic support from whites.

I also think that the midterms were lost due to the Abortion ruling.

That really energized the Left. On the right the only people that really care about that issue are evangelicals, and they aren't going to make the difference in a lot of purple states (toss-up states).

I also think that the midterms were lost due to the Abortion ruling.

That really energized the Left. On the right the only people that really care about that issue are evangelicals, and they aren't going to make the difference in a lot of purple states (toss-up states).

SvCoDz5.jpg

The Republicans would have already won many of these states without the abortion ruling.

Basically the evangelicals got their pet wish granted at the expense of the future of the Republican party, and America.

This is the problem with money in politics, even if you have an extremely unpopular idea, you can pay politicians to bake it into the discourse.

Some people may have a lot of money, billions even, but everyone only has 1 vote (sometimes even that is worthless depending on where you live)

Was there some instances of voter fraud? Who knows, I'm sure it happens to some degree in every election from both sides. Nevertheless, I don't think it would have been enough to tip the balance. As I said above, I think it is demographic change, and unenthusiastic support from whites.

Trump stands before the court for completely different things, for actively influencing the outcome of the election, "deliver me some votes etc etc" all taped! And 6 Jan 2020 was imo not fare from a coup d'etat. He insinuated that vice president should get out of the way because he followed the constitution. This to prevent Biden from being installed. All pretty rotten! But sir has turned it around starts again about witch hunt and partisan judges etc etc. The wry thing is that apparently narcissism is not seen through, that Trump - for his own profit and ego - can continue to tap into a sentiment..... And the rest of the Republican elite stood by and watched....

This thread has been viewed 7471 times.

Back