20th Anniversary of 9/11

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I've been on the phone with my daughter since early morning, both of us watching the footage from that horrible day. She was a little girl in elementary school when it happened but she, like I, remember is as if it were yesterday.

Our town was so badly impacted that day, not just because we, like so many people in the Metro Area of New York either worked downtown or was connected in some way to someone who was, but because so many of the men in our town worked for Cantor-Fitzgerald, an investment company, which was located on the 101st-105th floors of One World Trade Center. Others worked for Marsh & McClennan.

""On September 11, 2001, Islamist terrorists hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 and crashed it into the northern façade of the North Tower [152] at 8:40 a.m.; the aircraft struck between the 93rd and 99th floors. Seventeen minutes later, a second group crashed the similarly hijacked United Airlines Flight 175 into the southern façade of the South Tower, striking it between the 77th and 85th floors."

None of them survived. For two months it seemed all I did was go to funerals, although in a lot of cases there was really nothing to bury. It wasn't just Cantor Fitzgerald people either. The uncle of one of my daughter's friends was the pilot of the second plane, and we knew from the old days firefighters who climbed up those goddam steps when everyone else was fleeing.

Everyone gathered at our local pool club that day, some still wearing their ash covered clothes.

In one particularly horrible story, a man my husband had invited to a golf outing cancelled at the last minute and so was there that horrible day. He left a voice mail for his wife telling her how much he loved her and the children, to trust in God, and then said he was going to jump because he couldn't bear to burn alive.

It was a horror.

I post all of this not to say woe is me, but so that as a person who remembers every detail of that day burned into my memory, I help ensure it is never forgotten.

My daughter posted this on her social media. I share it with you:

"Watching the footage this morning of the tragedy that struck this nation 20 years ago, my emotions and feelings are overwhelming. It brought me back to where I was in Mrs. Gordon's fifth grade class. Feelings of sadness and anger were reignited. I pray for those who are still suffering from 9/11. I pray that this nation will become united as it once was when WE were affected by this historic tragedy. So many people from the town I grew up in were affected. Seeing the footage now...ugh, words can't describe the sadness and anger I feel.

Today we remember those who gave their lives so selflessly to help those who were suffering and in danger. We remember those who went to work that day not knowing what was going to happen that morning.

God bless America. "

Some of us will never forget, and we taught our children never to forget either.

This thread has been viewed 279 times.

Back